TWHE Board Member Profile Questionnaire
1. Name: Del Watson
2. Education/Degree: Ph.D., Higher Education Leadership
3. Current College/University: The University of Texas at Austin
4. Title/Position: Director of Faculty Engagement
6. Community/professional Involvements: Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc; Austin Capital City Lions Club
- Smith, M.J.T., Hunt, G., Watson, D., Contreras, L., Next Generation Model for Educating Faculty Search Committees, 2022 AGEP National Research Conference, November 2-4, 2022, Corpus Christi, Texas
- Coloyan Fleming, G., Hunt, G., Watson, D., Mastronardi, M., You, S., Contreras, L., Borrego, M., & Smith, M.J.T. A New Hybrid Model for Faculty Hiring Workshops. Journal of STEM Education: Innovations and Research. (Forthcoming)
- Gururaj, S., Somers, P., Fry, J., Watson, D., Cicero, F., Morosini, M., & Zamora, J. (2021). Affirmative action policy: Inclusion, exclusion, and the global public good. Policy Futures in Education, 19(1), 63–83. https://doi.org/10.1177/1478210320940139
- Taylor, Z. W., Fry, J. J., Gavillet, R., Watson, D., & Somers, P. (2020). ” We are pleased to announce…”: Gender differences of press releases announcing new community college presidents. Journal of Applied Research in the Community College, 27(1), 33-44.
- Fry, J. J., Taylor, Z., Watson, D., Gavillet, R., & Somers, P. (2019). Who did they just hire: A content analysis of announcements of new college presidents and chancellors. Journal of Research on the College President, 3(1). https://doi.org/https://doi.org/10.54119/jrcp.2019.308
8. Personal Info:
Del is originally from Southeast Texas but has lived in Austin for 31 years. She has 25+ years in leadership roles in higher education. She is an Air Force Veteran and has completed several leadership development programs, including, Harvard Graduate School of Education’s Women in Leadership and Leadership Women.
9. What do you want to be known for? My insatiable appetite for knowledge and education and my willingness to share what I’ve learned with others. Knowledge not shared serves no one.
10. What is one piece of feedback you would give to your younger self? Live more – experience everything. You will learn the most from those experiences that seemed to have failed. Reach for more – you are capable of more than you think you are.